Monday, January 19, 2009

Today's grocery trip

I went to the store today. I had my list and coupons in hand. Of course, my husband added to my list. This doesn't help my budgeting. Usually he wants something that isn't on sale and that I don't have a coupon for. I did very well on my first transaction. They had a sale on Yoplait yogurt. It was 10 for $20 plus if you bought 20 you got an additional $2.00 instantly. I bought the 20 yogurts and used a $1.00 coupon on 8 and 2 $.60 on 6 (which doubled to $1.20 each). I also had a coupon for a free kashi cereal bar. I also had a catalina coupon for $3.00 from a previous shoping day. The total OOP was $3.91 with a savings of $7.58 That is a 65% savings.

I wish I could say I did as well on my second tansaction. There was only one yogurt deal per transaction so I had to split my purchases. I won't list everything I bought, but the end totals after store card discounts and coupons was OOP $68.82 with a savings of $ 36.82. That is a 35% savings. If I hadn't bought the Bigelow tea, Raisin Bran Crunch, and fruit snacks (that my grand daughter wanted) I wouldn't have felt as bad about the adventure. I didn't have any coupons for these items and they were not on sale. My plan is to not buy anything that isn't on sale. Maybe I'll have better luck next week.

Oh, I also forgot the 2 things I went to the store for. They had frozen veggies on sale for a dollar a bag and they had beef shoulder roast B1G1. I was going to make vegetable soup today. Guess what! Now I have to go back tomorrow and get these items. I will just walk in and get what is on my list and then head back home to start cooking. I also want to go to CVS and do the Pepsi deal and get the Lays chips they have on sale so I can send in for the $15 rebate.

My goal is to not spend over $100 a week. I will be coming close this week. The first week in January I went over my budget by $64.34. I didn't go shopping at all last week, so that helped with the monthy budget. So far I was ahead by $35.66 until this week. If I don't go too far over I will hopefully still come in at or below the $400 monthly budget. That is if I don't let my husband add to my list again.

No comments:

Post a Comment